Saturday, November 13, 2010

Afraid of the keyboard

VPS Keys 4.3 is the software that B put on my new laptop for me. And I show my gratitude by never using it, sadly. 


Switching back and forth between English and Viet is challenging, because once you come upon an English word in which there is a repeating vowel (as in "between," above), VPS changes the letters and adds a  little thingy jobby (diacritic, officially) and you get betwên. 


(I like that, though it is not a word in either language. Betwên is a name I might consider for a character: "Priestess Betwên,  from the Fertile Valley of Happy Livestock and Killer Feta bids you welcome.")


In addition to vowels, the letter d is also Doubling Diacritic Dictated, for d sounds like "zuh" and đ sounds like "duh."


So the solution to this dilemma is to become fluent in Vietnamese so I don't have to fall back on English words in the middle of the sentence.


Onward, ever onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment